Tuesday, January 11, 2005

A Matter of Perspective?

GayPatriotWest and GayPatriot have commented ....

".... The real question isn't where the GP site is the "new" Andrew Sullivan. The question is was Andrew Sullivan ever anything more than a blow with the wind conservative? The other term for that is -- a Clinton Democrat. If the polls supported the war in Iraq by over 66%, Sully was for it. If they start to head down below 50%, Sully bolts. He reminds me of a Philadelphia Eagles fan, circa 2004. . . . . Andrew's main problem is that he, along with his fellow Clinton Democrats, do not understand Red State (and the majority of) America. He admits he doesn't like or "get" country music, for example. ...."

As someone who checks Andrew's 'blog first-thing logging-on, I thought I share what I posted on Polipundit today on this same topic;

"I support Andrew, even at those times when I don't agree with him, for his candor. Though I do think that he's a "Blue State"-conservative. By this I mean, he lives in the predominantly gay-safe, predominately-Democratic urban enclaves of Dupont Circle and Provincetown, he doesn't own or drive a car, and he's deeply immersed in the urban/gay-culture on a daily basis. He's a stranger-in-a-strange-land that's to his political- and personal-Left.

AIDS and gay marriage are in his own home, but many of the other issues that non-Blue State members of the gay/lesbian community deal with are not common to his daily-life. At times this allows him the freedom to pick and choose his affronts and travails. I don't think he understands the gay community or it's experiences outside of the Beltway and the Cape here in Red America. He doesn't have the life-experiences of dealing with Red American-parents, oblivious employers, and a level of outsider-ness that many other conservative gay Republicans experience both with straight-America, and from the predominantly-Left gay communities...either where we live, or those of the gay, urban "Blue enclaves".


While I respect his opinions, I really would encourage him to spend two or three months traveling through the Heartland and the Midwest by car or motorhome. Like many in the HRC and the LCR, he talks about Red America from Blue America; but I'm not so sure he has a sense of the volkgeist of Red America...both straight and gay. "